Friday, June 26, 2015

Day 20 Presentations, Remind, Twitter, Awards

Day 20

                                                                      2015 GAETI Participants

This is our last day together in the summer GAETI institute. Although we will miss each other we will be happy to have a few weeks left to enjoy our summer vacations.
I will look forward to school this year so I get to use many of the technology tools we learned in this program.

Today we presented our e-Portfolios. Most of us were not completely finished but we still had an impressive amount to show. I would not have been able to create a webpage, nor could I use most of the technology on my webpage when I started here on June 1.

Ms. Latham, our Art teacher presented awards to each and every student. My award was the 'Get it Done' Award. :) It was a good reminder of how students feel when the teacher notices enough about them to make a special 'honor' for them. I will try to do better at honoring my students, even if it comes to writing thank you emails. A personal note is always cherished.

I believe the part of GAETI that I found most useful was the power of using Google +.  Things I have learned to use are: Gmail, Google docs, Google drive and Google maps. I will have to review my notes to remember some of the technology tools we learned but I know these things well because we used over and over again. I feel comfortable using them with my students this year. The librarian says our students will all get Gmail accounts this year. I am glad to be 'ahead' of the game on sharing documents and blogging.

I hope to have the time to integrate technology more fully as I plan my lessons this year. I know it will take time to start, but save time in the long run. In particular, I plan to use AudioBoom and to record sound for PowerPoints. Since we will have Schoology, I was glad to get some insight into using Canvas, another LMS. I will ask my students to make movies this year, probably with iMovie, I expect my experience with Camtasia will carry over to iMovie. I am convinced that whatever technology tools I integrate into foreign language instruction, my students
will be better prepared for productive lives in the 21st century.

I am so glad we're not saying 'goodbye' forever as we leave today. I have grown attached to this group of teachers. We'll get together two more times during this school year so we can report on our progress. I expect that I will have questions and I will need encouragement to keep spending extra planning time to get the technology into my lessons.

For a list of our participants see gaeti2015.blogspot.com. See you in October.


No comments:

Post a Comment